We’re always being asked questions like:
“What is the best day to send an email?” or “What time of day will get the most opens?” The answer is not always simple and can depend on many things.
One good idea is to check your Google Analytics reports to see on what days your website may get visited the most. If you are a tourist destination, it could be Saturday. If you are a retailer, it could be a Thursday.
One thing you cannot ignore is your email subject line. Our inboxes are full of emails every day so you need to stand out. If your subscribers have signed up for your email, they will more inclined to open it than if they haven’t.
And always remember to test your line using our A/B testing feature, which you will find in your Market 2 All account.
Set it to test against opens or clicks to maximize your results.
Here are some of the best subject lines for retailers – hopefully, there are some ideas in here that you can use next time.
- You’re invited: 10% off for Beauty Insiders
- Weekend sale. Inventory you need to see.
- Friday night discounts you don’t want to miss
- Flash. Sale. Alert.
- Take your pick: Our 10 favorite [your product]
- Ends today: Get 10% off all purchases!
- Last chance to get 25% off all base layers
- Tonight only: A denim lover’s dream
- Last chance to earn $100 to shop
- Hundreds of new markdowns added today
- Save with this week’s flyer
- Top 10 under $10
- Yours in 2 days (free shipping!) + 40% off
- Free product with purchase of [insert product]
- [New product] has arrived. Order now before we run out
- Earn double points for [insert product]
- Want 20% off your next order?
- Last chance to get in on this hot deal
- Tonight only. Save $5 on your order.
- Time is running out… Save up to $300!
- Your savings code expires today…
- Don’t wait. You’ll miss out on the sale of the year.
- 3 Days only – 10% off and free shipping
- You won’t believe who’s partnered with us
- Top outfits under $100 of celebrities
- See the best deals on Facebook
- Get insider tips on our Facebook page
- Stay in the know. Follow us on Twitter.
- Psst! You’ll want to pass this one on…
- Bring a friend to our VIP party and save
- Make room in that closet
Subject Line Tips for Retailers
1. Optimize your subject line length for your subscribers
Research indicates subject lines that are about 65 characters in length are best. But it’s best to look at your subscribers and what email clients and devices they use so you can optimize your subject lines to fit. To get this information in Market 2 All, look in the Reporting section of your account, under Email Client Usage.
2. Hey Dave, Personalization Works
You’ve probably heard it before, but we’ll say it again. Personalization works. Personalized messages improve click-through rates by an average 14% and conversions by 10%.
3. Show a Sense of Urgency
You’ll notice there are a fair amount of subject line examples in the “Last Chance” category that encourages subscribers to take advantage last-minute deals. These examples all show a sense of urgency, which is something you should strive to do in every subject line.
4. Don’t be repetitive, don’t be repetitive, don’t be repetitive
Every email should have a different subject line; even if you send out a regular email that covers similar topics, like a deal of the week or monthly style picks. Don’t become a subject line robot.
Seeing something like this in an inbox is an instant turn off:
5. Add numbers to your subject line
When you’re staring at a long list of emails and scanning the subject lines, what stands out? Numbers. The eye is automatically drawn to numbers. Research shows blogs with numbers in the title are opened 45% more than those without. It stands to reason that the same would apply for email subject lines.
e.g. 3 Days only – 10% off and free shipping!
6. Add an emoji
Just as numbers stand out, so does an emoji. Whether you opt for a heart or smiley face, 56% of brands that use an emoji in the subject line see higher open rates.