We recently updated our Apple Operating System from 10.8 to 10.9 – nicknamed Mavericks – and generally, it went well.
But there is one crucial item that did not: all Microsoft Office 2011 applications started crashing. We were unable to open any Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents!
However, do not fret because we have an easy fix. Don’t panic!
This was via phone with a Microsoft Level 2 Tech Support agent – they are aware of this issue with Mavericks and will be releasing an update in the next month.
- Restart your Mac in Safe Mode (press shift key when the initial screen is blank, release it when you see the progress bar in grey Apple icon screen)
- Go to System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items (see above)
- Remove any items which have a warning triangle next to them (unlock if you see them greyed out) and are tagged as “Unknown”
- In Applications/Font Book, go to File/Restore Standard Fonts…
- After “Proceed”, you should get an all clear
- Try to open any Office application (still in Safe Mode) – they should be fine
- Restart and have a cup of tea
Hope this helps. And remember, don’t panic!